PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where are the AME apprentices?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2011, 11:12
jas24zzk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ozadski,
There are actually a number of trades listed as having "Skills Shortages"
If listed, there are a number of government incentives offered, depending on state.

E.g I had a mature age apprentice on for some time, I got (fed) money for employing him, a fortnightly subsidy for his wage (fed... 150pw for first year, 100 for second) , he got 800 tool (fed) at the end of his first 3 months, an extra 800 at the start of his final year), then he got 6 monthly wage top ups of about 500 (state...vic), and 100% reimbursement for school fees (state) (If I paid it, i got a tax break that was worth less than the fee's). Workcover (vic) is also paid by the Gov.

So its not all bad for an employer/MA Apprentice.

------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the high drop out rate of 1st year apprentices, I blame our Education system. Sure there are some crud employers out there, and the money isn't great, but it is a lot better than the dole now (well for a 16-18 yo with no kids). The problem I have found with 1st years, is that they have zero to little practical hands on skills. The abolition of Tech Schools here in Vic saw to it that the kids that were never going to make it in Uni received no experience in trade orientated subjects. This situation looks to change soon, but not soon enough. I've had 4 out of 5 first years leave to pursue other trades, and the only reason I have the one I do now, is that he grew up playing with cars alongside his dad mechanic, and he decided he hated oil.

I had the oppurtunity to take up a cabinet making app when I left school, but without the tech school experience I wouldn't have known that my timber skills were limited to making firewood.

When tech schools return, we'll see the retention rates on apprentices improve.

Cheers
Jas

edit...Ozadski, you might like to research something here, if you can find/print/comprehend the info, then you will have something to aid a prospective employer in your favour

linky... Skill Shortage Lists