PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas pilots going on strike?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2011, 05:10
Max Tow

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Kiwi Grey
Yes, I'm aware of that. My point (perhaps in the light of the recent BA Cabin staff fiasco) was more to do with the effectiveness of the current campaign in winning the hearts & minds of the public, since that is where these initial in-flight announcements & advertising seem directed.
I'd suggest that the travelling public is already thoroughly confused by codeshares, franchises etc (yet haven't revolted against them) and that whilst most people don't much like outsourcing, their employers almost all practise it, and as consumers they like low prices and so in the end don't much care if their Holden car or their Bonds underwear is made in China. I'd suggest that the image of an aircraft as described by you as operated by "Kiwi flight crew and Kiwi cabin crew paid Kiwi wages" isn't going to strike terror into the minds of those down the back, particularly if those wages aren't much different from those of Air NZ.

The public (and hopefully the regulators upon whom they rely) would of course have a massive interest if a link could be established between outsourcing,low costs and low safety standards, however to convey that message obviously involves just a few difficulties. As mentioned, my observations have nothing to do with the rights & wrongs of the case, merely the public campaign - I guess the pilots can draw some comfort from QF's recent poor PR performance on various issues!