PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Psychological Characteristics Ideal to Military Aviators
Old 22nd Jul 2011, 01:58
Jane-DoH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fox3WheresMyBanana

Stated psychological type required was stable extrovert. 20/30 years ago (Cold War), RAF Doc of my acquaintance said most FJ types were (in his opinion) introverts when sober, extroverts when drunk, and borderline unstable always.
I'm ambiverted (mildly extraverted) when sober; able to tolerate a huge amount of alcohol (genetics?), but sluggish and heavy when intoxicated (I don't enjoy it at all), I think a lot and have OCD when I'm by myself, but in emergencies I seem to be the most level-headed and strangely calm person in the group -- (I was a lifeguard for several years and saved 11 people, of which one had a cardiac arrest).

galaxy flyer

A Dr. Jerry Berlin has done a lot of work on the subject, as has a number of shrinks on F1 level race drivers, there is some similarities.
That makes sense. Eddie Rickenbacker was a race-car driver prior to becoming a pilot.

Krystal n chips

The ability to be consistently plausible when making excuses as to why the aircraft was wholly and always at fault with regard to any defect also helps....
LMAO

Lonewolf 50

No. Compartmentalization is a skill of mental capacity to focus on what is at hand, and set aside that which is not.
Oh, okay -- I understand what you mean. That usually isn't that hard to do, adrenaline really helps assist that process though.

If you can find it on the web, try to view a copy of the lecture "Sex and the Naval Aviator." This film was hugely popular as a training tool regarding the psychology of American Navy pilots. It was presented by an experienced flight surgeon who'd been dealing with pilots for most of his career.
Sounds like an interesting lecture...

"Don't ever give up" is a good mental predisposition.
It's important to not just be determined, but to know when what you're doing just isn't cutting it, start trying something different, switch strategies and taking different angles.

ASTB means Aviation Selection Test Battery
Understood

Another point, Jane: successful military pilots, in terms of those who are successful over the long term, also have the capacity for honest self-criticism.
Makes sense. If you never acknowledged your weak-spots, it would only be a matter of time before that weak-spot would eventually get you creamed in one way or another.