PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Psychological Characteristics Ideal to Military Aviators
Old 21st Jul 2011, 13:47
Lonewolf_50

Received 478 Likes on 297 Posts
Jane, to explain a few things
3. Ability to compartmentalize
Can you explain exactly what you mean there?
Do you mean like rationalization?
No. Compartmentalization is a skill of mental capacity to focus on what is at hand, and set aside that which is not.

You leave the office at the office, the wife at home, and focus on cockpit and mission tasks.

Those who can't do that frequently make mistakes, some of them fatal, in the cockpit.

If you can find it on the web, try to view a copy of the lecture "Sex and the Naval Aviator." This film was hugely popular as a training tool regarding the psychology of American Navy pilots. It was presented by an experienced flight surgeon who'd been dealing with pilots for most of his career.
Each of these manifests itself differently in behaviors in a given individual
You mean to the exact degree?
No, I mean what I said, not what you said.
Why did you try to change the meaning of what I said? Perhaps what I am getting at is that of those factors, each may have a slightly different weight in a given individual.

ASTB means Aviation Selection Test Battery
ASTB Overview

ASTB Study Guide
I find that the internet, and gouge, render the original intent of the ASTB style tests (used to be AQT/FAR) less effective than when one could not use the gouge or "know what was on the test before you took it."

Fox3: good point. "Don't ever give up" is a good mental predisposition.
"I can do this!" has a name, I am sure, among the shrinks, but I can't recall it at the moment.

Another point, Jane: successful military pilots, in terms of those who are successful over the long term, also have the capacity for honest self-criticism. I don't know what the shrinks call that: humility?

In a given ready room, finding humility is sometimes tougher than finding a virgin in a brothel ... who isn't a customer!