PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 3 Axis Microlights...
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2011, 10:06
Unusual Attitude

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3 Axis Microlights...

Ok before I get flamed for not searching on this, I have spent the last 2 evenings searching here, Pilotweb, flyer forums, google, you name it and still cant come up with a 'definitive' answer.

Basically I'm seriously thinking of getting a small cheap and fun 3 Axis microlight to base somewhere in the Aberdeen area (Insch I suppose) given that my Group A stuff is based at Perth and that it would be nice to have something close by that I can get my flying fix in after work on the odd sunny evening without spending 3 hours driving there and back.

I am however very confused about the legalities of flying such a machine on my Group A licences ?!?! I have a CAA PPL and a JAR CPL and about 100hrs on group A machines with a MTOW of less than 400kg so am no stranger to a lack of inertia....

So far just about every answer I've found seems to contradict the previous one. I've seen some suggestions saying that I can fly such a machine on a UK PPL with no differences training but that on a JAR PPL differences training is required. I've seen another post saying that a full skills test needs to be passed and a Microlight theory exam has to be done, I've then seen another saying that the UK PPL can only be used if you have microlight time logged prior to 2008 ?!?!? There is then a whole heap of stuff about ditching the PPL and going NPPL which I'm not interested in doing.

Does anyone have an 'official' answer to this before I take the last resort of picking up the phone to the CAA?!?!?

Any advice very much appreciated!

Regards

UA