PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qf LAME EBA Negotiations Begin
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2011, 12:26
ALAEA Fed Sec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry all been at meetings all arvo and just got the last kid to bed. Time for a few emails and to check in on Pprune. I think there are a few different opinions about today's press stunt. I have my opinion too which I am happy to state but as the union Secretary I can say that it is disappointing that anyone would assume that our union has anythng to do with this. It's unfair to term something like you have Cargo744 by saying you would headbutt our union at the moment. Our union has no knoweldge of this event.

From my own perspective, I would be absolutely disgusted if any of our members played the last post during a work stoppage. RSL permission would be required to play it anywhere and I think it is appropriate at the footy because the day is endorsed by the RSL. The ANZAC day match teaches our kids about the history of our country, all those fine young blokes who gave their lives so we can have what we do today.

Our last original WW1 digger died 2 years ago, he was honoured in Parliment by the Prime Minister. His grandson was ALAEA Vice Preident Wesley Bell. Qantas would not allow Wesley to go to his Grandfathers funeral without dropping pay becasue of a dispute about how bereavement leave is applied. They don't care about the last post being played or our heritaige. They are just greedy opportunists, if it even was played, the PA mics at Tulla are in manager's offices.

So why wouldn't I run around all day defending this rubbish? Becasue it would then be on air twice as long. Qantas can feel like they are making headway by having a great day in the press and congrats to all involved, the spokesmodel, Neil Mitchell, Alan, Tony and the team. Maybe they should be looking after business instead. I hear the engine that failed on the weekend with the Sprinboks onboard was over it's maximum number of allowable cycles before maintenance and that very special mod it required. Anyone care to ring 3AW tomorrow with a rumour that JL required an engine change after 420 cycles however it blew up one hour out of J'Burg on cycle number 431?