PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA is recruiting
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2011, 10:33
Desk-pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't give up

I just wanted to post here to say never give up, especially now when the market does seem to be slightly improving for everyone.

This BA announcement is great news for everyone because those of us who have spent a few years on turboprops in a regional airline will now have a chance to apply for our dream job. Our seats in the regional turboprop airlines will have to be filled by people like you guys. I've spent over 4 years flying the Dash 8 as have many of my colleagues at Flybe. I think virtually FO in my base will be applying for BA and although not all of us will be lucky enough to get in a significant number will. Expect recruitment to start in airlines like Flybe very soon and in significant volumes.

I suspect that Flybe, BMI regional, Eastern, Arann and all those other first rung on the ladder airlines are about to see a significant exodus in the next 12 months or so. If rumours are to believed then BA are looking to recruit 1000 pilots in the next 5 years and that's ignoring Monarch, Virgin etc etc who are also either recruiting or about to.

I'm not sure there will ever be a real shortgage of pilots as predicted by Boeing, but this is the most positive move in the industry for a very long time.

And I too refused to pay for a type rating and was never asked to by Flybe who for all their faults have given me superb training, a reasonable salary, brilliant experience and trusted me with their almost brand new highly capable Q400's on a huge variety of routes. I really cannot recommend them highly enough as a first job and they like older guys too. Uniforms, hire cars, crew food, salaries, overnight allowances were all provided from day one and they will always have my respect for that.

As a company Flybe have more lovely E-jets coming too and to be honest some will choose to stay because of that and the fact they are expanding and that will create good opportunities for everyone.

I actually find myself applying to BA and yet feeling slightly sentimental about Flybe who gave me my first chance to fulfill my airline career dream. For some of you they will help you on your way too just as they have those of us who are here already. The past 4 years really have been great and I have learned a lot and flown with soem superb guys and gals - I really couldn't have realistically hoped for a better start than that...

I wish you all luck whoever you end up flying for and wherever you fly. I promise you this too whether your first type ends up being a Q400, a twin otter or a Saab 2000: The first day you strap in and look down that 2000 plus metre runway and push the levers forward you're going to be so thrilled you won't care it doesn't say Boeing on the side...