PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qf LAME EBA Negotiations Begin
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2011, 06:41
dubai_don

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Improve Productivity to SAVE jobs

Having retired after a great number of years in the industry, many of which were with BA, it saddens me greatly when I see once great airlines being taken to the cleaners by young, modern and efficient carriers be they LCC or full service carriers.
As all of you know, the airline business is hugely costly to operate and margins, generally wafer thin. The successful carriers will optimise profits to reinvest in fuel efficient aircraft, equipment and product enhancements. Since the world aviation market is subject to rapid changes be they natural disasters, war, epidemics etc. etc., an airline must be able to act swiftly to counter these negative threats that impact the bottom line.
What you see is that airlines which do not have unions lording it over the company, are able to implement change quickly and minimise losses as a result. Disasters aside, they are also able to implement commercial changes, impose staff freezes and improve staff productivity to lower their cost base and remain competitive in an ever increasingly competitive aviation environment. Whilst this may seem like an anathema to traditional trade unions who harp on about saving jobs where in fact, they slowly destroy jobs and curb airline expansion and growth which in turn, yes, creates more jobs. This has been a classic case at BA for the past 40 years and I can see this unfolding at QF as well.
There is no place for the old "them and us struggle" but change is needed. No one likes CHANGE, but is has to become a way of life. A better understanding of the long term objectives and the risks associated with them is essential with Unions truly representing the interests of their membership and management working together. If this is not realised, the outsourcing issue will continue. Improved productivity across the board and ongoing efficiency reviews coupled with natural attrition has to become a way of life. Good luck.