PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA is recruiting
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2011, 12:25
SpreadEagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't come to this acceptance, because I just woke up not 'wanting' it one morning. I gave up because all this old school scraping for hours had left me destitute. I finally could not afford to get in a twin and redo my IR. No license, no fly. And it isn't the answer anyway. p2f is the answer. Its why this guy has an interview, and I have never had one yet after 3 years.
http://www.pprune.org/interviews-job...ml#post6574364
Shame, because I know why I want to be a pilot.

But it was a blessing in disguise. It was the smack across the face with a big wet kipper that I needed.

As my OP showed, even those who traditionally were interested in investing in those who 'wanted' it, they have had theirs hands forced by the p2f brigade. They haven't joined them yet, but its only going one way. I can't see anyone funding an unrated pilot with no jet time ever again.

As for all those people 'who would kill for' SEP paid jobs, that is the problem. Its why despite all the skills, knowledge, financial investment etc, I can still only ask for £10-£15 an hour for my airborne time. Ground time usually comes at a flat rate £0 p/h. Why is a plumber £70/h? Because there isn't an army of wannabe plumbers wanting to unblock my toilet for free.

And yes, I am 33. I'm not getting any prettier. Flying has been the only thing in my life for too long. I want other things as well. (greedy aint I?). I would like my own family, my own home, the things normal people have.

Even if I could carry on, I might get to 5000 hours. But airlines may care even less by then. 10 years ago you would never have imagined pilots paying for training, TRs and 500 hours on type. What on earth are they going to want from us in 10 years time? The goal posts will have moved again. I have one life. Its too important to risk it all chasing rainbows. No one has a gentleman's agreement with me that if I just keep at it I will get that job. To come to that realisation in another 10 years, probably would leave me hanging from the nearest tree, and the writing is on the wall.

I'm gonna do something else. I'll keep my eye on what happens, but I won't be holding my breath and I'm not gonna waste any more time wanting it.