PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another school bust
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2011, 14:13
LightAir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost funds and Met

I read the posts on the plight of this young lady, who had her funds stolen (strong - perhaps but true) I had the same happen to me years ago when UK schools opened (and v. quickly closed) in France, where I lived and worked.

It is heartening that she is moving on and has selected a flying centre with more of an airport feel than a smaller aerodrome style set-up.

However, there was some suggestion of her life being made difficult due to changing weather and wasted travel.

I have a small tip on this aspect as I have the same dilemma due to flying from a sizeable airport whilst living an hour and a half's drive away.

I overcame this by using the UK Met Office: this has an excellent aviation website and for no fee - simply a registration - METAR's and TAF's can be checked as early as 7am up to within minutes of departure and interpreting them will do no harm either and could settle whether flying is possible or not very early on in the day!

Now I know if I shall be flying before the FBO staff arrive at their office.

Accuracy of decoding could then be confirmed, with a quick call to the CFI of the flight organisation to verify that understanding, before leaving.

Not much help with the money I am afraid but practically, using the Met Office site could avoid additional wasted cost.

LA