PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Salamanca Puma Crash Site Memorial
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2011, 13:34
ewe.lander

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Keith, sorry for the late reply.

Our Crews were tasked by the Det Cdr at the time to carry out 'Training flights/pracise Medivacs' from Salamanca. It didn't happen at that time, I don't really know/remember why (I was a young Crewman then, and at the end of the 'comms chain')

We handed over to the new Crew, I joined my family on holiday in UK, then within a day or 2 the accident happened. Our Crew then returned to Belize after the Funerals.

As to NVG's, I doubt we had them? This was before the NVG family came into use? PNG's as issued to ground forces were available, but like looking down 2 dustbins into a glass of lime juice.

75/76 was a very busy period in Belize for the AAC/RAF, lots of Medivacs - but all due to training accidents/incidents. The AAC at the time operated a flight of Sioux, and we had 2 Puma's in station.

I'm still trying to find my other Det photo's of that time - all Black & White. The Regiment Lads were a great bunch on 230 - but took great delight getting the Aircrew on Jungle Survival/Warfare courses at Sibun and watching us suffer!!