PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Tiger Tales
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2011, 02:29
Major Cleve Saville

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems to me that there are some fairly verbose and unnecessary transmissions here, had the phrases e.g. 'request visual approach', 'cleared for a visual approach runway xxx, report downwind/finals' or cleared for the vor approach runway xxx report estabilished inbound' been used there would be no confusion.
ICAO: APPROACH AND LANDING
Pilot-interpreted Approaches (eg ILS) Phraseology
The phrase ‘cleared ILS approach runway xx’ has, in the past, introduced some ambiguity whereby pilots have taken this to mean they are cleared to thealtitude/height depicted on the approach chart immediately prior to the finalapproach fix. This should not be assumed; normally clearances to descend atthis point will be given distinctly.
Other phrases that are commonly in use include:
‘Report established localiser (or ILS, GBAS/SBAS/MLS approach course).’
‘Maintain (altitude) until intercepting glide-path.’
‘Report established on glide-path.’
As a frequent visitor to Australia some of the 'local' ATC procedures and radio do leave me feeling a little uncomfortable and other foreign carriers seem to get a bollocking not infrequently for not complying with some fairly trivial local procedures.

The point remains that in most other countries none of this would have been reported and as far as I can see at no time was the safety of these flights ever in doubt.

I notice CASA said there are some 'complex issues' involved - beraucrat speak for 'clueless'?

Cleve.