PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 8
Thread: Ryanair - 8
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2011, 17:00
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to believe that FR would arrive at GLA. The BAA have been talking to them for a long period of time. Allegedly they had offered a very similar deal to the one struck for EDI. But what does MOL have to gain by having a GLA base? Capacity won't increase over the winter and it's doubtful to whether it would increase in the summer either. It would remain at the same level as it is at PIK, which is unlikely to go beyond 2 aircraft in the winter and 7 in the summer. Being in GLA wouldn't change this. City routes historically don't work therefore what would FR bring to the fore? Existing services in direct competition with EZY, Jet2, TCX etc? Well for one, there will be no route development funding available as they pre exist. Secondly GLA, from an operational standpoint, has to be more expensive than PIK. I doubt there is even interest in tapping into the London Market, even with the demise of the LHR service wirhn bmi. MOL hates the high taxes associated with internal UK flights. So what is there to gain? I think he just likes to ruffle a few feathers once in a while and keep the management of "Pure Dead Brilliant" on their toes! GLA won't see FR.