PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did you ever dread lessons?
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2002, 09:48
pondlife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just read with some interest as an instructor myself. Seems to me that when he returned your original instructor handled the situation very well and very diplomatically without any unecessary slagging anyone off. Seems that you have too.

From my own experience, there are a very few students who do need a degree of shouting at. I, personally, find that strange because I know that I couldn't learn properly with someone shouting at me and so I find it very hard to do it. For those people, I am not a good instructor for them and I would hope that they'd go to one of my colleagues. For the majority of students who learn best when encouraged, I seem to be OK for them.
The point that I'm clumsily trying to make is that it's not right to say that a particular instructor should not have their CPL or should not be an instructor just because their style doesn't suit you, but you have the absolute right to refuse to fly with them and to choose one who's style does.
Sounds like everyone you've spoke to at your flying school recognised this and dealt with the situation as they should have once you pointed out to them that this particular instructor wasn't working for you.
Personally I think that some of the posters on this thread have not quite got this, though I must agree that this particular instructor may have taken things rather too far before seeing if you're one of these few students who does work better with negative rather than positive criticism.

Of course, the ultimate instructor would be able to change his or her style totally according to what was best for the student - but very few of us are able to do that to the extent that's sometimes required. Luckily there are enough instructors about that it doesn't matter so much as long as students are honest enough to say when a particular instructor's style doesn't work for them.

I'm very pleased that you have resolved this situation now and that you're not going to let this instructor put you off flying.