PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 4
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 4
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2011, 15:54
GayFriendly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FR have finally announced new base at MAN, 4 based and 26 new routes by summer 2012. Of course these include some prime ones that they could (but for whatever reason don't) offer from BHX including FCO, BGY and MAD, plus some already tried from BHX incl BIQ, TRF and HHN.

Obviously a deal struck with MAG, so can we now expect more expansion at EMA too, or a transfer of routes leaving only a limited Midlands offering by FR? This is awful news for BHX, I can't see any more FR expansion now with BHX instead being squeezed by much bigger and brighter FR bases at LPL, BRS, EMA and now MAN.......and there is simply no one else waiting in the wings for BHX, with EZY and LS (IMO the only other contenders to seriously offer new routes development at BHX) also being in bed with the MAG group.

I think we have to accept that BHX is becoming primarily a spoke into bigger hubs airport relying on a few full service carriers with a smattering of bucket and spade and a few tried and tested thin routes like LYS, HAM making up the timetable. Unless of course WW can come up with something big - but with LH at the helm I doubt this very much and lets face it it would have to be big (another 3 - 5 based units). We are sadly heading to having an airport that may look the part but does not have the European routes to reflect Birminghams (some may say alleged) second city status in the UK.