PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Nimrod / Argentine B707 encounter Falklands War ?
Old 10th Jul 2011, 10:41
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Comms with the RN were ever thus!

Yes, it's said that it was that encounter (I believe there was another, though perhaps not so close) that led to the MR2 fleet being fitted with Sidewinder.

Very interesting and explains some background I didn't know. Action was immediately taken to fix the RN/RAF comms interoperability problem, but when the kit was delivered (very quickly, first a/c fitted in 1984) the RAF belatedly decided they didn't want it and for the next 12 years it languished unused until finally scrapped. What a ******* waste. Many tens of millions down the pan.

The problem arose again in the 90s in the Adriatic with the It***ans complaining they couldn't comminicate. But if the policy wasn't to be interoperable between UK Services, what chance was there between allies? This "no interoperability" policy was still extant in 2004, with DEC demanding its removal from any requirement, but I see in recent years it is being mentioned again, but perhaps not funded.