PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-Summer Madness
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2011, 16:19
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FL: Greetings. I've certainly heard of you - though not sure if we've met. When I signed-up to PPRuNe a year ago I trawled various back-threads and came across an image you had posted at someones funeral (can't remember who) but David Boyce and co. were present. David knew my godfather (Col. Bob Smith) fairly well. In 1980 Bob helped form Aviation Consultants International along with Norman Todd (British Airways) and David Scott the astronaut as well as others whose names escape my memory but it is possible that you may have known some of these characters.

Re: Today's post; a pedantic affair I admit!

Rotors Turning - Unsupervised

I've not employed the search facility (apologies SP) but I'm sure this must be a well-worn subject on Rotorheads. From my utility-flying days in Africa and Papua New Guinea I can relate that abandoning the controls to supervise passenger embarkation/disembarkation (as well as the loading of various small items of cargo) was, with the smaller craft such as 206s and 350s etc., a necessity. In fact, to have remained at the controls would, in many circumstances, have resulted in disaster. Anyone who has flown small aircraft on intensive utility ops (landing everywhere [usually the middle of nowhere] all the time) would, I am sure, agree. It is simply unfeasible to remain at the controls as the external risks far outweigh those of abandoning the controls.

In 1988 while with Rotorwork I engaged the PNG DCA over this issue with the view to obtaining an exemption from following the recommended flight manual procedures based on the 'extenuating' circumstances so prevalent in PNG. I don't know where this dialogue ended-up but I recall hearing that neighbouring Australia's CASA had approved something similar (can anyone confirm?) and in which case 'bravo' to the ever-pragmatic Aussies!

In Europe and the US (and doubtless elsewhere) there is perhaps far less need to 'jump out' in order to attend to external duties as, presumably, one is (in most cases) in a position to make prior arrangements for ground support. Failing that (and in non-urgent circumstances) one can always shut down.

A 206L LongRanger III belonging to Sweden's 'FiskFlyg' turns and burns 'unsupervised' in the Padjelanta National Park on 12th July 2010 (Photo: Anton Asplund)