PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Tiger Tales
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2011, 05:25
TIMA9X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The bottom line

After watching TD on lateline last night, I believe this piece from Ben S opens more cans of worms. Coupling this with today's grounding of some J* A320s "after staff discovered that they had missed inspections." says to me there appears to be a race internally to cover for paperwork deficiencies for maintenance at J*, (to their credit at J* staff saw the problem and acted) whilst Tiger never seemed to have a good enough internal backup system leading to the situation they face today.

Tiger Airways may become safe, but faces deady fare wars | Plane Talking
An impolite version of this view was that Tiger Australia was here to repay the courtesy of Qantas setting up Jetstar Asia in Singapore.
A different set of questions now need to be asked, as to how Tiger can be both a low fare leader and a business that doesn’t go broke, given the stance taken on ABC TV’s Lateline program last night, by its ‘new’ Australian CEO, Tony Davis, who until about last Sunday, was running Tiger Airways Holdings and was thus ultimately responsible for both Tiger’s Singapore based operations and those of Tiger Australia.
Those questions weren’t asked.
Says pretty much what I was left thinking after the interview.
It appears that Singapore inc and Q group have been is a race for "tit for tat" business practices leading to the situation we have today. In a sense, the grounding of Tiger has slowed the race to the bottom regarding costs.
I doubt Tiger will be able to rely on it's old model for dirt cheap pricing, if it indeed gets off the ground again. Airfares will rise whether Tiger Australia flies or not.