PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ag. Flying considered a poor career choice?
Old 8th Jul 2011, 02:24
HarleyD

Location: Aus, or USA, or UK or EU, or possibly somehwere in Asia.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi There Walgi,

yeah, you are likely right about career streaming at the start of your flying career, for all those starting out, and that as far as the airline flying goes that was the best for you. the point i was making is that you actually need the burning desire for Ag, which you did not have, for whatever reason. Most Ag pilots will advise against it as a career to any that ask, especially when times are a bit tougher and or there is a drought. this is the start of the filtering process. Even if you push past that there and numerous other hurdles that may deflect you from this job.

You should only go Ag if that is REALLY what you want. If the push is not there it is certainly not the career for anyone who wants just to hour build, or fill in some time, or because there is a high demand. it is important to have a strong desire that this is the type of flying for you. Also consider that as well as the boom bust, drought, produce price fluctuations, irrigation issues and a myriad of other influences Ag is more than hazardous, it is actually dangerous. I have been to a lot of funerals over the years and have been straight lucky to avoid my own. don't kid yourself this is an aspect that also should be considered.

I have to say that the actual flying skills that i acquired in my ag years have been a great advantage in my afterlife career, solely in GA, and that i have now flown in about 26 countries (i think). I have flown into remote highlands PNG strips and other Asian countries as well as lots of other stuff in the Americas, and Europe. my log book shows that in the past few months, the last few ILS's I have done have been in Sri Lanka, the UK and France, and that I have flown in 10 countries in the last 12 months, so I don't think that being an ag pilot has limited my career, although I am sure that you most likely stay in better hotels than I do. The PNG stuff is about as close as I have got to the type of skills that Ag demands, but also has some unique ( mainly weather and culture related) issues of its own.

Miles Long

You are spot on about the farmer thing. rural, and remote rural folk are different to suburban type of people and need special skills to earn their respect and trust. The thing to remenber is that 'the secret to success is sencerity, once you can fake that you have it made', ha ha. that attitude will not get you any work, especially repeat work, even if you you are king of the throttle jockeys. A grower does not give a toss if you fly the job inverted and backwards, all he wants is the job done as well as is possible. he wants his seeding/spreading/spraying etc perfect right to the fence line and not one inch past, at the excact right (evenly applied) rate, to last the longest and provide him with the most cost effective outcome. that this is what makes 'good' ag pilots good.

I say to those who really, and I mean REALLY, want to go the Ag trip, do it. The industry is in as good a position as it has been for a loooong time and this may be the only opportunity you get for a leg up the totem pole for a while to come.

If you can be discouraged from it, then it is really not for you and you would be better advised to go the more 'sensible' route that at least keeps the mud off your boots and puts a lovely shine on your dark blue trousers. And you will smell a lot nicer as well, and maybe even stay married, and you can drink espresso and not international roast, and you will have proper leave and holidays, and your 4WD will be a Prado, not a dropside tray, and you get to spend at least some time at home, not hanging around with other Ag pilots and mixers. Hmmm almost talked myself out of now.

HD