PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Tiger Tales
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2011, 01:49
Normasars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oakape said,

"The downside is that the second pilot doesn't do a brief & the check captain/examiner doesn't get to then observe his/her briefing & critique any shortcomings. It also doesn't allow for repetitious reinforcement.

It has been my experience that most check captains/examiners don't pay that much attention to the briefings anyway, instead concentrating on the actual exercise. Perhaps this is a shortcoming that needs to be addressed."

it may come as somewhat of a surprise to many that the "Checkie" is actually a hell of alot busier than you think back there. Configuring the Sim for the LOFT/ Proficiency Exercises is quite tedious. I won't go into the semantics and pedantics here but setting up the sim is very involved and to be brutally honest, the "checkie" is probably not listening intently to the SID/SDP briefing in the first place because he/she has enough to do. In my operation, the Cyclic Lesson Plan is quite detailed and Airways Clearances and sequences are provided to crews in the SIM briefing material supplied as part of their preparation, all to help with the time management. Sitting at the bridge asking for Airways Clearances and the like eats into valuable alloted sim time.

I have even seen guys brief the SIDS and OEI procedure in the briefing room prior to even getting in the box, all to save time.

From a "Checkie's" perspective, the most critical issue we face is the time management. Actually trying to cover all the matrix items required in the time given is very challenging. And this does not account for repeats if/when required. By this very nature then, brifings can be given thoroughly initially(even though the checkie is very busy and only listening with one ear) and any subsequent briefing of the exercise can be "considered already briefed" or "consider that done".

It is not a perfect world people, and IF you are not in the back seat, it is VERY easy to speculate on "what ifs."

My 2 cents worth.

Last edited by Normasars; 8th Jul 2011 at 02:24.