PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Tiger Tales
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2011, 10:22
Oakape

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Puzzler, sorry to disappoint, but no, not joking.

With multiple approaches in the sim, this is the normal technique to save time. A particular approach is briefed once & then all subsequent exercises with the same approach are not briefed. Also, aside from LOFT sessions, STARs generally don't get briefed, just the approach.

The downside is that the second pilot doesn't do a brief & the check captain/examiner doesn't get to then observe his/her briefing & critique any shortcomings. It also doesn't allow for repetitious reinforcement.

It has been my experience that most check captains/examiners don't pay that much attention to the briefings anyway, instead concentrating on the actual exercise. Perhaps this is a shortcoming that needs to be addressed.

In the airlines where I have worked, the points that need to be mentioned in a briefing are usually listed in one of the manuals, but there is no defined structure. I know there are pros & cons for a defined structure, but because everyone does it in a slightly different way, you really have to pay attention to know if everything that is required has been addressed. Perhaps it is better that way to make people concentrate. However, it has been my experience that most people don't concentrate & would have no idea if a particular required briefing point has been missed.

It comes back to an earlier point I made. If you are not professional enough to endevour to complete each & every flight to the highest possible standard, then there isn't much that can be done to combat that on a day to day basis. Also, if you are unable to differentiate between sim exercises & line flying, then there isn't much hope, is there!

In the past, I had the dubious pleasure to be paired with the same captain for 3 straight recurrent sim sessions. Over the same period I also got to fly with him on a semi regular basis. He performed all the SOPs flawlessly in each sim session, but on the line he flew totally non-standard, obviously thinking he knew best. I dreaded the thought of a serious non-normal, because I knew it would be a complete balls-up.

I don't know what the complete answer is & perhaps there isn't a total fix. But I have to say that most of the accidents around the world in recent years have left me shaking my head & wondering just what is going in in some of these pilot's heads!