PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Day in the life of an Instructor v Day in the life of a charter pilot
Old 7th Jul 2011, 07:37
Wildpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to Africa flew bush for a couple of years then got into floats on the mighty beaver and now the van on amphibious floats. My mates who went the instructing route still are at the same field most of them learnt at flying very average machines. Or according to them not flying just sitting there.

One or two of them get to fly the very odd scenic or charter in a crappy Seneca or something like that.

They all know loads more facts and figures than me but none of them know how to deal with anything real world, loads, weather, tight time frames etc etc.

IMHO You can be a pilot or an instructor, if you could do both then that would be good I guess. But where I used to work in Africa instructors were not liked by the companies as they generally I say again generally were slow on turnarounds, flew huge circuits and just took ages to get into a commercial frame of mind and wasted allot of time.

I'm not saying this to upset anyone just telling you the truth as I have seen it.

So for me hands down charter/bush etc over instructing for the experience and great places you will go and people you will meet.