PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Tiger Tales
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2011, 04:36
Oakape

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interestingly, the preliminary ATSB investigation report into the MEL incident, just to hand at this site indicates that, while the crew misread the paper plate, the FMS database contained an incorrect level to which they subsequently descended.

Doesn't excuse the error, but alters the complexion somewhat, I would have thought ?
To a certain extent that is true John. However, the report indicates that the PF noticed that the MCDU had 2000' displayed for EPP & just went ahead and changed the altitude on the FCU to 2000', which allowed the aircraft to descend below 2,500'. Who here feels that that is acceptable? Is that an error or just plain stupid? Does he feel that the altitudes assigned by ATC are advisory only? You can't just descend to an altitude any time you want because it is displayed in the FMS (MCDU), or for any other reason except an emergency. In this situation, you can't descend below an ATC cleared altitude until you are cleared for a visual or instrument approach. And as for the PM, he just blindly accepted the 2000' when it was called & didn't query it until the aircraft descended through 2,500'. So much for cross-checking.

Basic stuff I would have thought, but then lately I am constantly surprised at what some of my F/O's think is acceptable & at their poor level of knowledge. I have seen it with captains as well. For example, I have had an F/O who thought it was acceptable, when given a hold, to hold until minimum fuel & then declare an emergency, rather than holding until minimum divert fuel & then divert. i recently had an F/O who didn't know what 'becoming' meant in a TAF & another one who was totally unconcerned with busting an altitude restriction by 200' & became mildly annoyed when I insisted he get the aircraft down to the required altitude.

I have had an F/O say nothing while I have briefed the after landing taxi route from the reciprocal runway because I had an incorrect mindset. It wasn't till I reviewed the chart again a little later that I realized that what I had done. It really ticks me off when F/O's pickup, but don't correct my errors. And I mean all of them. Just thinking 'I know what he means" is not good enough. The other guy may not have just said it wrong, but may genuinely have it wrong. In that vein, I also get really ticked when I correct an error made by the F/O & he gets annoyed with me as if it is something personal.

Maybe a lot of pilots these days have actually become 'bus drivers' & 'near enough is good enough' & 'who cares anyway' is actually the norm now. If that is the case, it is somewhat disappointing. This is a serious business & it can bite you so fast on occasions, you will wonder what happened. A little professionalism & self discipline goes a long way.

Last edited by Oakape; 7th Jul 2011 at 04:52.