PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Amount of Military pilots with degrees.
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2002, 06:16
MajorMadMax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Degrees (or something to that effect...)

HvR

Hear hear! As a USAF major, I have been busting my hump to get a master's degree in my "spare" time. Unfortunately, it is in a marketable area (information systems), so instead of using it to advance my military career, I will be using it to advance my income. I will hit my lieutenant colonel promotion board at 19 years of active duty service, if I get picked up (and it isn't hard nowadays with 85% promotion opportunity), I would wait about a year to pin it on, then have to wear it for two years to retire in that rank. However, I know damn well that during those two years the USAF will provide me an "opportunity to excel," meaning a remote assignment (possibly a command), meaning no family. To which I will respond by putting in my retirement papers anyway, as if I didn't I wouldn't have to worry about my family because I wouldn't have one any more! Therefore, with the opportunity to make some decent money, and to get away from the abortion of a personnel system the USAF has (I my boss, a lieutenant general, recommend me for a specific assignment In Germany, and the USAF sent me to Belgium. They probably think it is the same country!) means I will be "punching out" at 20 years. Hate to leave the service, it has had its ups and downs but mostly it has been a great experience; but we are getting jerked around more and more (like having to have a graduate degree), and it is getting to be too much.

Just my €.02!

Cheers!

"I suspect that my collegues are being unfair both to the US educational system and to those dedicated officers that work all day then study hard at home for many years to attain the Masters needed to advance beyond Major. "