PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF ALM Duties..
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2002, 00:06
Always_broken_in_wilts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Mickey,
If only it were true .....well it almost is.

After a tour of single pilot op's on Puma's in the early 90's I don't think anything will ever match that for pure enjoyment. Even the advent of Nav's did'nt dampen the fire but the lifestyle got the better of an old fellow like me.

However for the ALM the J is a definate step in the right direction.
On the TAC front we have some very capable guys, both drivers and loadie's, who are undoing most of the problems created by those who went before them and now the loadie is not only encouraged but is expected in the cockpit for most of the mission.

However there is no doubt the ALM's primary role is aft of 245 looking after the stuff that either walks, is driven or is carried down the back. But once all that side of life is squared away it would appear common sense is finally prevailing and we are being utilised more and more up front.

Having done a K tour prior to this the only real differance i notice, from an ALM point of veiw, is less crew members, the trim sheet/weight and balance stuff is now computerised, we now do the imprest and we now have a flushing bog

Like the Crewman we now have to know a fair bit of tech, understand tap's, enroute sups etc, make radio calls blah blah blah but we never lose track of the fact that the 335 etc are the real reason we are employed.

If you are considering a move I hope this has helped, as i said before the flying on rotary was brill but the J, and life on the AT fleet in general, is the way ahead.

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced