PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aborted landing at Gatwick
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2011, 14:16
Sky Wave

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Might I humbly suggest from a 'customer service' point of view that it would be wise to leave the flight crew to provide the precise details of / the reason for the go-around?
The problem is that the pilots are extremely busy during a go around, having atc frequency changes, execute the missed approach, early level off, clean up the aircraft, assess the fuel status, re-check the weather for the alternates, agree on the next course of action (divert or another approach), tell ATC the plan, re-enter the approach into the flight management system and all of this has to come before the PA to the pax.

Although we realise that pax must get a very quick PA from the pilots our priority always remains 1st Aviate, 2nd Navigate and finally Communicate.

Rather than wait 10 minutes with passengers wondering what the hell is going on it's surely better for the Cabin Crew to have a standard PA advising passengers that a missed approach has occurred because the Captain was unhappy with the approach. The calm tones of the cabin crew will go some way to convince nervous passengers that this is not an unusual situation.

it sounds that in this situation, the cabin crew member and the captain gave conflicting messages
I disagree, the Captain did not believe the cabin was ready and therefore was not happy to continue the approach. No conflict, it's the same message.

All the cabin staff had been in their seats in position for landing so I'm not sure what he meant or if I had misheard.
The 2 at the front may have been seated, could you see the 2 at the back?

As for easyJet the SOP's dictate a mandatory go around if the landing checklist is not completed by 500ft AGL and Cabin Secured for Landing is the first item on the checklist.

As BOAC said if the cabin crew forgot to pass the message or tried to call too late this would explain why the cabin "appeared" to be ready.

Hope this helps

SW