PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Will work for free'
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2002, 20:07
AMEX

AMEX is one such person, and feels he is somehow such a fine fellow that people have always been rushing to pay him hansomely for his services
Dear Norman Stanley Fletcher
I don't recall saying people were rushing to employ me. As a matter of fact I lost my job post September 11 and was unemployed for two month until I secured another job but unlike you said, itdidn't rush my way (a misconception you seem to have).
I got a tip from a fellow ppruner and once the contact established with my future employer, I had 48 hours to move out, sell my bike and car and catch a flight (paid) from London (that is if I wanted the job, you can imagine I wasn't the only one going for it).
I don't pretend I am that valuable I only fly great machines... No, rather I aim at what I can realistically do in today's market ,i.e Flying light turbo prop, single pilot pistons and whatever else but nothing for free (call me a lucky B*****d if you like) and as long it is safe (done the dodgy stuffs, left before it ended in tears-mine-and have no intention to get involved with that type of outfit ever again).
Also you seem to think that I consider myself as some sort of prima dona but as someone who has had his fair share of time dreaming about flying whilst all sorts of jobs (before and after I qualifiied), I can assure you that if I had been better than most, I really would have done a bit better.
No real regret here as I have learnt a lot about many sides of aviation and its industry I wouldn't have had otherwise the chance to discover. During this period I came across a great number of people whom I can call many of them, friends.
As for my flying, I am also a very humble person and have no problem telling you about my mistakes or bad landings because I like to think we can all learn from it (me first).
So you see, because I don't believe in working for free doesn't make me that different from the professional I have no doubt you must be.
We are all free to run our career the way we chose. In fact there isn't a single way to be successful in achieving your lifetime ambition but instead there is as many ways as there are existing pilots.
In many's eyes, pilots are a commodity which, very often, makes us as a group, subject to attacks on our Terms and Conditions. I, as an individual do my bit, not to save your bum but in the long term, to preserve mine hence my rather unflexible stance (at least in your eyes but then again we disagree about the matter so....).
What I fail to understand,is why you feel so stronly about me refusing to work for free. I mean it isn't like if I was a threat to your job or anything ?

Anyway, i feel I have made my opinion fairly clear so that's it for me. As I said, if you go to one of the bashes, we can always have a friendly chat about it, as whatever you and I think, ain't going to change the way things are going.

Cheers Mr Norman Stanley Fletcher

From apple
Amex... are you on drugs or just capable of verbal Diarrhoea?
Ironic really. And THAT's how you contribute to the thread ???
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not related to apple's remarkable, concise and very informative post
The industry is famously cyclical. Right now there is downward pressure on wages. This will not last. Question is, how long will it last for?
I haven't been here long enough so it is a genuine question. What has been the trend of the last 30 years???

Bye all