PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Tiger Tales
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2011, 09:50
Mstr Caution

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ReverseFlight, AVV 18 ILS is a pretty simple approach as you say. It does have a local anomaly that can get you in trouble. In a strong NW wind, I think the Yoo Yangs block the wind below the summits. On final about the time configuring commences, the wind diminishes from a strong tailwind to a light one or even a westerly breeze. I know a lot of software experts will tell me I am wrong, but I only report what happens. With the strong tailwind going to a light or no tailwind, the plane interprets this as a headwind. The IAS increases and it is difficult to slow down to extend the flaps. I have required gear down out of sequence and speed brakes to get the speed below max Config Full extension speed. If you expect this, no problem. If not, it can get you into an unstable approach very easily. Don't know if this is what happened last week, but could be a possibility of why the missed approach was executed.
Call me old fashioned, but if one was to expect a significant reduction in the tailwind component during the course of an approach. Wouldn't it be prudent to be at gear down & landing flap configuration prior the the wind change.