PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - parachutes
Thread: parachutes
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2002, 15:26
OFBSLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's an interview with the pilot on line.

Just as I leveled off, I pulled the MP back to 25 inches, leveling for but a few seconds… and then the control yoke and the left wing started going OVER. There was a tremendous control force… I thought it was the autopilot going haywire. I didn't know what else to think."

Morrison knew he was in big trouble… he was less than 1500 feet above the ground, rolling/descending hard left and losing altitude like a plugged Mallard…

"I thought it felt like the autopilot… but it felt like the autopilot on steroids… it was really pulling hard, I mean I couldn't get it back… it just kept going. That was the only time in the whole episode that I was really frightened, because the airplane was going over. I'm still thinking autopilot, I'm hitting the thumb switch (autopilot disconnect) and nothing's happening… so I reach down, thinking to pull/check the circuit breaker and when I do, I happened to glance down/out the left side of the airplane and at that point, I notice that the left aileron is hanging by ONE hinge point."
Full text is here:

http://www.aero-news.net/news/sport....ntBlockID=5996