PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Tiger Tales
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2011, 06:46
Worrals in the wilds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps, perhaps what is actually happening is this. Other industries are now utilizing the aviation template - the tombstone imperative / safety first / learning culture that had previously existed. However, aviation is now actually regressing, while other industries are taking this template & improving on our lessons, learned in blood.
That's an interesting concept. I think that most members of the public assume (or did so until a couple of days ago ) that all Aussie based airlines have to be safe because otherwise the Government would shut them down.
...and the general public will no longer tolerate a poor safety culture in their workplace or in aviation.
That I'm not so sure about. The average worker bitches and moans every time a safety initiative is brought in (and I'm as bad as everyone else). Look at the constant carrying-on throughout PPRuNe about hi viz vests. I don't think the push for safety has ever been driven by the public, because most people think they're invincible. I bet that there will be people buying tickets with Tiger if they start trading again. Maybe fewer than before, but there''ll still be some.

The relevant government departments should drive safety, that's what we pay them for via the tax system. They don't have to make money, they shouldn't have to be popular and that is their job. Fortunately CASA has figured that out.
I'm not game enough to ask him what his take home salary is.
AFAIK truckies do well, but not as well as airline captains. I went out with one for a while, I think he was taking home a shade under 90K for driving interstate HC with a good company? That's from memory.