PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates now not tax free?!?!?!
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2011, 21:22
HPIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EK380
The US Tax thing is correct... However I never understood why you have to pay tax to your home country when you don't benefit from it and don't live there?! Pay and don't get anything into return... Pay tax for a green card, no thank you!

BTW: this comes from a European citizen who used to pay more than 50% tax. At least we got good health care, free schooling etc in return!
In Dubai more than 10 years and nothing paying any direct income tax. Even today! Main reason to be here!

Yearly tax free salary without including schooling, accommodation, provident fund; $190.000 / 135.000€. That is for a training position and not including a recent 14 week ($30.000 / 20000€) bonus.
Did you get to choose the country you were born in? I didn't. I'm certainly not saying I'm disappointed that I'm a natural born US Citizen....quite the contrary, actually...but in any case, none of us have a choice where we're born...and we have to deal with whatever the situation is in our home country, or denounce our citizenship to become a citizen of another country.

Green card? Well, that's a different issue, but one I am not qualified to comment on.

You don't think we get good healthcare in the US? Well, we may be a bit behind the times...but soon we will have ObamaCare....? Nevermind, that's better left to another discussion..

Hope you're happy at EK...it's a move that I have considered, but I'm unsure whether it would be the best move for me personally. Far East carriers are some very interesting prospects as well.....but, I'm wondering...where do you get $190k a year? EK published pay rates that I have seen indicate the max is approximately two-thirds of that. Does the TRI position make up for the extra amount, is it overtime, etc??