PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Tiger Tales
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2011, 11:34
Eastmoore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loosen the Grip

Ok. All you rule quoting Knobs out there.

Where you there?

Have you flown a A320 into Avalon in the last month?

Have you flown into AV ever?

Weather CAVOK.

Jetstar did that night and not long before Tiger and we almost got suckered into the straight in 18 ILS being the SAFEST approach into AV and with a 7 knot tail wind.

But with a tail wind it might not be the most time efficient if you miss D taxiway (3km taxi to the bay). Or do a MAP due tail wind. So time and fuel savings go out the window.

Option 1. GPS or VOR App on to 36, OUR option that night.

Option 2. Fly ILS18 to 1500 ft break Left and Fly a visual right circuit onto 36. ATC option for us that night. But we declined.

Option 3. Fly the ILS and conduct MAP if tailwind to greater then knots on PFD. Then enter hold for GPS at 10 nm and conduct same.

Option 4. MAP to MSA, track to AID and circle to 1500ft in circling area and carry out a vis circuit. (NOT the best option in a A320)Cat C4.2 Cat D5.2 give or take.

So what did Tiger do???Do any of you know???

If they did do a visual approach from MSA(2500ft straight in 36) I believe they could not have left 2500ft until 5nm from threshold on the VASI. 800ft above profile by my guess. I havent tried it but it could be posible in a A320 FULLY CONFIGURED AND STABLE AT 500FT. My biggest problem then would be descent rate not busting MSA.