Old 3rd Jul 2011, 02:32
Gnadenburg

Received 92 Likes on 41 Posts
1/ Plan the approach using LOC FPA
2/ Take Gear and Flap in the normal way
3/ By 1000' at the latest if you cannot land straight in due to wind then
A/ ALT Hold
B/ HDG Pull
C/ SPD Pull and set for Config 2 Man, accelerate in level Flt ( won't take long!! )
D/ Retract flaps to Config 2 on schedule
E/ Retract Gear
F/ Fly circuit at 1000' feet

LAND.

If you were PLANNING to circle from the beginning then you wouldn't take more than Flap 2 in the first place. This is what I was taught for FUK 34.
I fly into FUK and circling is straightforward ( 747's do it ). The alternate for Fukuoka ( Busan ) is a little more threatening in inclement weather and has 767 wreckage to prove it.

When I started in Australia as an A320 F/O. CASA required us to demonstrate
an NPA followed by a single engine, 500ft circling approach every 90 days as part of our 3 monthly sim cycle. It was a handling exercise and only changed as a consequence of a review of circling procedures following a Navajo crash.

As with Australian Airlines, Ansett pilots had personal access to sims to help achieve this level of proficiency.

Nobody would ever dream of circling at 500' on one engine. But, it maintained high standards and proficiency. Since leaving Australia, with experience in the Middle East and Far East, I have noticed low handling standards especially in the area of visual flying - including circling.

Now nitpicker, you could only be a protege of Cathay Pacific to have complicated something straightforward!

If you circle, GD F3, turn off the flight directors and you are in speed mode, and fly the aeroplane. Same if you cock up the turn onto finals- pull the nose up, speed mode will give you thrust, and gently climb to circling altitude. No need for a IMC GA if it is runway alignment issue or too high and you are visual within the circling area.

Last edited by Gnadenburg; 3rd Jul 2011 at 04:41.