PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Views on AAC
Thread: Views on AAC
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2002, 10:01
thom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ADUX

I'm a little lost at your entry, in that you state that an application for pilot training will end up in File 13. No command can do that to any rank serving in the AAC or other Regt/Corps. An application has to be pushed through all phases and cannot be withheld except for operational reasons, as published in (me thinks) QR's. A 'switched-on cookie' is a much valued person in any Regt/Corps, but again, you cannot be withheld from selection, whether its pilot, SAS or whatever just because your an excellent 'ground pounder'. Sure, the AAC is like any other Corps, in that the path to whatever you want to do maybe long and hard, but it's littered with many individuals who have no ambition to progress, so a little effort pays and you will be rewarded. I think I can honestly say, that out of all my friends who I served with, those who had ambitions to be pilots, are now pilots. Those who aspired to do other things (RSI, Training, NBC instructor, etc), are doing them, and those who I served with who were less then switched on and had no ambition, are still troopers or lance jacks (even after 10 years.... GULP !!) on ground crew duties, or are now civvies.

I believe you can be whatever you want to be in the AAC, but there is only one person who can put you there, and that's you.