PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Tiger Tales
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2011, 08:26
facts overrated

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check your regs boys and girls

Interesting but dangerous advice here regarding navigation in the circuit/circling area.

Bloggs... No way. A pax RPT jet in Australia would NOT be able to use Night VFR procedures when Vis is greater than 5km. The Ops Manual should not allow it. Minimum standard is IFR.

Other's... Missed approach with immediate turn to join downwind - computer says no.. cough...

Have a good read of CAR 178(4). Once you start a go-around you are not taking off or landing so option (a) is gone. Then you must comply with (b), (c), (d) or (e). Last I read the AIP there was no procedure describing a turn into the circuit area after a missed approach so that knocks (b) on the head. (d) is day only. (e) is no good unless radar vectored in CTA.

The winner is (C). Stay on the instrument procedure. I hope someone doesn't correct me because I'm too old to start hero maneuvers after a missed approach. K.I.S.S. works for me.

(4)An aircraft may be flown along a route segment at a height less than the height that is applicable under subregulation (1) or (2):
(a) during take‑off or landing; or
(b) during arrival or departure, if the aircraft is being flown:
(i) at a safe height above the terrain; and
(ii) in accordance with any instructions published in AIP; or
(c) during an authorised instrument departure procedure or authorised instrument approach procedure; or
(d) if the aircraft is being flown by day in V.M.C.; or
(e) if the aircraft is being flown in accordance with instructions from air traffic control.