PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is 'tactical vectoring'?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2011, 01:57
Orlando Coronel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radar Tactical Vectoring

Dear ATC Colleagues
I've been teaching ATC for quite a long time.
There are some words in the ICAO document 4444 that unfortunately are not defined. Tactical vectoring is one of them.
When I teach radar vectoring, I teach my students to;
1.First get situational awareness of the operational situation;
2.Then, they have to create a strategic plan in order to address the ATC situational operation demands. I call that; Vectoring Strategic Planning;
3.Simultaneously,I encourage them to create backup plans in order to have alternatives in case the main plan fails;
4.And finally, they have to implement the plan by doing some specific actions. That’s what I call; TACTICAL VECTORING.
5. Follow and validation comes at the end in order to keep on going or to apply the best corrective action or plan.
So! What is tactical vectoring?
Well, yes… it could be issuing one single heading. However, it’s in my opinion, more than issuing headings.
According to the DOC 4444 - Headings: is the provision of navigational guidance to aircraft in the form of specific headings, based on the use of radar;
Therefore, there’s got to be a distinctive definition for tactical vectoring. My empiric definition is as follows:
Tactical Vectoring is the provision by radar controllers of navigational guidance to aircraft in the form of specific headings, combined with altitude management and speed control with the operational objective of:

a.sequencing efficiently and safely arrival and departure traffic;
b.segregating efficiently and safely arrivals from departures:
c.applying the prescribed radar/vertical separation minima based on specific operational requirements;
d.reducing route length and enhancing optimum climb and descent profiles;
e.reducing adverse environmental impacts, such as engine noise over populated areas and emission of carbon footprint;
f.bearing in mind economic aspects when handling traffic such as; aircraft fuel consumption, aircraft tear and wear, social and aviation business related economic consequences derived from delays

Radar Controllers should consider the following factors when providing navigational guidance or tactical vectoring:
i.Traffic situation and conditions
ii.Airspace configuration
iii.Weather conditions
iv.Flying distance
v.Airborne navigational equipment
vi.Aircraft performance
vii.Pilot qualifications and style
viii.ATCO radar equipment capability and skills
ix.Coordination factor

Please, be advised that some controllers call this tactical sequencing.

Later I can post the tactical vectoring tools that are available to ATCOs.

I would like to brush up this definition to its maximum potential; therefore, I encourage you to give your contribution. I appreciate your wise assistance on this subject.

Best regards to all of you,

Orlando Coronel
ATC Instructor
Mobile +1 (786) 454 0928