PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Puts American Airlines Under Close Scrutiny
Old 28th Jun 2011, 21:42
beardy

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
bubbers44,

1st line of the report:

Both pilots indicated that they had set up the navigation systems and briefed to fly an ILS Category III instrument approach to an autoland to runway 36C
Last line of the report:

Factors contributing to the incident were: The Captain's decision to execute a Category III autoland approach on a runway without rollout guidance contrary to company Flight Manual guidance, the Captain's decision to deviate from the Category III approach and continue it manually contrary to the company Operating Manual, and the First Officer's failure to call for a go-around when the approach became unstable.
So I guess that NTSB were correct in assuming he wasn't executing a Cat2 approach.

Hopefully we don't replace them with the A320 as rumored. Then we have worse problems.
What an odd statement. I assume that the second sentence should include the conditional 'would.' I am not sure what condition of the A320 itself would lead to worse problems than the operational indiscipline highlighted in this report.