PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - pilot shortage
Thread: pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2011, 23:54
break_break

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fellows,
The only decent starting wage for high time, willing to risk it all widebody left seater is in China, as what most of us should know by now. And the only reason why that is so, is simply because the respective airline management has set aside budget for hiring expatriates in fixed RMB terms. The payscale seems to be rising, as what some agencies would have claimed, is due to the fact that RMB is appreciating accordingly. Absolute RMB budget allocated has not risen, but is most likely to be among the first few to do so. The rest of the world in FAR EAST, are just having a wait and see attitude. NO ONE, wants to be the "bad boy" elevating the benchmark in order to protect their ever insatiable appetite for higher operating profit margin.

I have worked for too many majors and I dare put my arguments along the side that the pay raise, due acute pilot shortages, will NEVER come about. The long overdue pay increase if come about to most big boys' clubs, will merely offset the rise in living cost, adjusted for inflation. Just look at what has happened to QR with their recent pay increase, and what should be happening to EK, KE, and hopefully CX, SQ etc.

I for once, would love to be proven wrong. Nonetheless, looking at the number of cheap cadets in the baking from South East Asia, low wage pilots from Europe and both North South America, I seriously won't hold my breath on any miracle.