PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 8
Thread: Ryanair - 8
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2011, 14:26
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would have thought that if the B787 is a success there will be a B737 version already on the drawing board. Airbus have been expanding and reducing airframes with the same technology quite successfully for a few years. The B737 repalcement market is ripe and too big to ignore. If RYR can get Boeing to confirm a possible entry date for such an a/c they may deem it prudent to wait a few years. Could they squeeze a deal as launch customer? Time will tell. If their policy of selling airframes after 7 years at almost the price they paid continues, they will need replacements sooner rather than later.
If RYR's prodicious, but rather mysterious profitability, is based on the so-called value of its assets versus what they cost (i.e. paper profit), they need to achieve sales to realise this business model. If, as someone says, the values are deteriorating at re-sale, or even worse no-one buys, then this paper profit will also disappear. What then? Big question. If it's true that the B737 production line is sold out till end 2014 then RYR can have no buy slots for 18 months. It has been said that their business model also requires continued expansion. Could they risk a brand new type from a brand new manufacturer? To get a discount price that could compete with the earlier Boeing one would take a very large order. It the technology failed, or subsequent costs were too high, it would spell disaster. If the same business model of selling airframes after 7 years was employed, who knows if it will work for a new type? If the paper profit generated by the initial discounted purchase price could not be repeated with a new type the company's prodicious profitability might not continue.
What then?