PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss on JFK runway
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2011, 12:36
Spitoon

Originally Posted by SloppyJoe
Everyone seems to have done a good job. The aircraft at fault is the Egypt Air, the guy in the left seat of that 777 should not be in that seat anymore for making such a catastrophic mistake.
Originally Posted by jmmilner
...and Egypt may be unwilling to accept that their crew was at fault...
Does it help to label anyone 'at fault'? Thankfully this even was resolved without ham to anyone.

The aviation business is built around ensuring safety and has many safeguards - some of which no doubt played a part in resolving this particular situation. The reason that these safeguards have been built in is because we are all human and we can all make mistakes or suffer misunderstandings.

What matters now is that we investigate the circumstances surrounding the event, understand what contributed to it and - most importantly - see what we can do to stop the chain of events that leads to an accident getting as far as it did. And, hopefully, that investigation will be conducted by people with all of the information that is available, and the results acted on by those with the authority to do so. Whilst I have some views on what may have happened and why, I await the results of a formal investigation - which may support my views....or may show that, in my ignorance, I am completely wrong.

Discussion amongst professionals is always of value - as is the learning value which may stop others from making the same or similar errors. But it would be nice to keep it to the professionals.