PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Survey: Are you accepting their offer?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2011, 08:29
ChinaBeached

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 Stones....

And what of the banker and doctor who in their late 30's/early 40's have taken the iCadet job? Why? It seems that "Because I used to always look in the air and think how great it would be to be an airline pilot. I have good money saved away, can work on the side as well as being a pilot for CX, so thanks to this iCadet program I can do it" (reference: http://www.pprune.org/fragrant-harbo...t-article.html)

Updated on Aug 18, 2010 Nelson Chang Way-man and Oscar Francis were members of two very different professions but they had one thing in common: a love of flying.It led the doctor and investment banker to quit their highly paid jobs and join Cathay Pacific Airways' cadet pilot scheme last year with an initial pay potential of about a third of their previous earnings.
Both said their love of flying overcame any financial concerns and the chance to make a living from it was a dream comes true.
Yet while they may be about to realise their dream, others who have been through the same scheme are far less happy. The reason: the terms and conditions for pilots have been changed.
So basically, to be a pilot for CX little things like EXPEREINCE or CREDENTIALS are not needed. Obviously. But! This passion and deep love for the "vocation" wasn't there until it was woken by the CPP? Doesn't add up does it?

Dont blame the "young ones"? I can see what you say, but it these guys' reasoning that is bought into question. (And we see what transpires when this reasoning is challenged).

If they accept, then they accept the salary degradation for themselves as they have to pay back but are getting in much sooner then they otherwise would.
They accept this degradation not only at their own expense but at the expense of others, those at CX and the industry in general. If it was at their own expense entirely then the dislike for the CPP may not be as strong as it is by so many. OK, shoot yourself in the foot, but don't bring everyone else down with you (which is precisely what a few on this forum are quite happy and proud to do). Do you not think this puts huge amounts of pressure on the pilots at CX existing on the former CoS? And what of LONG TERM effects to the profession itself, not just at CX. Again, zero experience, zero credentials (but for minimal flying school time and sim endorsement) are now required to occupy a seat in the cockpit of a widebody jet transport. And prior to being accepted the flying school or ground school isn't even required. All this is a good thing you think?

How much is an LH cadet on the hook for?
Been answered many, many times before in other threads and posts. It's not just the 6 years and risk of the bond payback, but the useless P2X rating, lack of PIC time, lack of total time, lack of hands on experience, financial ramifications of living in HK and money not saved....I personally think at least 10-12 years before being possibly qualified to be considered for your average LCC.

I am not supporting this, but you guys in your "association" need to stand up for your profession as well as the future pilots. Its your airline. Its just as much your job to stand up to your employer in this issue as it is the young ones. But then you have a rich history of sacrificing your young to ensure your better terms up the list don't you. You ask the young ones to sacrifice but not one of you is willing to put your own job on the line.
I couldn't agree with you more. John Warham in his book "The 49ers - The True Story" mentions this as well, ie at what stage is the AoA responsible for the CoS of furture pilots at CX? The AoA has proven time and time and time and time again to be little other than a toothless tiger, always behind the goalposts and rarely proactive at seeing the bleeding obvious. And even worse in that members constantly in-fight for position, rank, etc and those in position use it to only protect their own backsides and CoS: hence the reason why so many (non iCadet) SO's have tried to get voted onto the council so to give a voice to their plight of continued pressure to have their T & C's cut.

If these guys could sit out their time in GA or other and thus force CX to improve the contract they will come to a job that they have EARNED and as such be rewarded for it as a professional pilot should. The min requirements for SO used to be 1000 hrs TT. That's not a real hard slog! And yes, I've heard of a few getting an interview & being successful with that much experience. Everyone would benefit, except for the back pocket of CX and Swires breed of greedy management unable to line their own pockets off of naive kids or such bankers & doctors. And we would hate for that to happen?!

Last edited by ChinaBeached; 26th Jun 2011 at 11:04.