PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Fitness Test
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2002, 08:49
RoyalRock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe a distinction should be drawn between the terms "medically fit" and "physically fit". There is no doubt that aircrew are all medically fit to perform their duties as they have to face a battery of stringent checks on an annual basis (pretty certain it's annually anyway). It does not necessarily follow that people are physically fit as well. I agree with BEagle that in order to fly, comprehensive medical checks are carried out and passed therefore chap/lady can whizz about the skies to his/her hearts content. However, being professional military aircrew involves a few more things nowadays. You may not agree/like it but subjects such as fitness, shooting and the not very civil chatting sesssion in Cornwall all add up to what I call the Complete Professional Military Aviator.

Fitness is important for two major reasons; it keeps you healthy and also gives you a better chance of coming home should it all go pear shaped. Saying that I believe that the RAF Fitness Test is a joke. It should not be Army type running about with heavy stuff, but should reflect the duties carried out by RAF personnel.

BEags I also agree that far too much time is wasted for some people on being pushed to go to the jock shop. Sport can be a laugh. At lunchtimes try taking on the sqn techies at something you are all collectively crap at such as hockey. This gets rid of the Sport Billy serious heads and involves running about AND enjoying yourself.

I have been teaching aircrew for many years and can truthfully say that generally the "flying club" attitude that prevailed years ago is dissipating and the Complete Professional Military Aviator is becoming the norm.

I await the inevitable backlash!!