PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "CUT-LUNCH" Circuits....Or 'Minor Cross Country's'..
Old 26th Jun 2011, 05:26
aileron_69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember flying into Koolan Island one day 4 or 5 years ago when the wind was fair howling straight down rwy 23 amongst a gaggle of 8 or 10 aircraft. I was about the 5th or 6th aircraft and as I came onto downwind I saw the first one continue on for ages before turning base, then each one ahead of me got progressively wider and wider until by the time I followed the one in front of me onto finals I looked at the GPS and saw that I was 6nm out to sea!!
It seems that there is also a lack of understanding of the effect of wind on an approach as the first rooster in there set the bar went so far downwind he had himself set up for a tailwind landing.
I asked him why such a big circuit when we got on the ground, to which he replied "When i advance up the ranks to fly a Jet, thats the circuit I will fly, so thats how I fly now" I would have thought fly the circuit according to the aircraft u are in, not what u may be flying in 27.4 years time!!
All I can say of that day is, i'm glad it was a company requirement to wear lifejackets and not just stow them under the seat!!