PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss on JFK runway
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2011, 00:46
Ushuaia

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
What Roffa said.........

These tapes are NOT complete and don't paint a full picture. That people here are commenting about not hearing a takeoff clearance for LH is just insulting, frankly, to JFK TWR and LH.

As what what MS did or didn't do, I don't think THAT'S real clear from these tapes either! The info available here is incomplete and confusing. That YouTube picture suggests he's infringed at J but tx's from GND make it sound like he's infringed at G. Who knows? I know - ATC does! I suspect the FAA and the NTSB have a fair idea already, also.

Frankly speculating about this and that achieves bugger all. We'll hear the facts in a short time. What this thread does illustrate is how demanding JFK is on everybody, particularly the ATC team and aircrews. Having had my fair share of JFK flying, I have no doubt about that, so it's a matter of taking it slow and steady, esp when the wx is crap. I actually feel for the MS guys - I know what JFK is like on the ground...

Well done to the Luftie boys in getting the thing stopped promptly, and a BIG Bravo Zulu to the TWR and GND guys for picking the infringement so promptly (you can just make out the start of the GND girl's shock inhale of breath while talking to the AA aircraft, as she realises what's happening.... would be terrifying). Kudos to her for continuing on afterwards getting MS clear, obviously under pressure. Sounds like they relieved her after the immediate incident was cleared, quite rightly so.

Nice to hear QF108 Heavy there too - I miss that!