PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IOT for Airmen Aircrew.....
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2002, 19:09
Darkside2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the sharp eyed amongst you I have had to re-register as Darkside2...computer didn't like the last name and wouldn't let me re-log on...or was it senior Officers blocking me...JUST JOKING!!

Thanks for the comments and I do seem to have a firm ally in 1st Threshold! In my AAITC days we seemed to have an abundance of failed Officer cadets remustering to Airmen Aircrew who unanimously agreed that our training WAS harder than IOT. I'm not saying that still is the case but I find it disappointing that my 16 years of AA service seems to count for nothing. God forbid I get to Master rank and go to Cranwell to learn how to left, right and polish my shoes, but being 38 will still be 6 years short of doing the short Commissioned Warrant Officers course! I can understand the need to have some assistance for the young and inexperienced recruits, but surely there are enough ex-rankers who have NOT completed the same courses I have that can help the new ones adjust to military life. All AA HAVE completed OASC, HAVE done field leadership in the Dales and Otterburn and for those having completed AACMTC the reading and writing stuff as well!! There ARE undoubtably parts of IOT that are invaluable, but are these parts not included in the SERE course to introduce our Doctors and Nurses, Chaplains and so on the necessary skills to be an Officer in the RAF?? If so, would that not be a more appropriate course for AA going for a commission?? Not only that, but you would also have a professional aviator EARNING his flying pay in a flying job sooner!!

I look forward to some more comments........