PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I want to work in ground ops
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2011, 18:58
L-H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh for God's sake cut the lad some slack! He's 17 and has a lot to learn, you're how old?

Back to the original request. I work in ground ops but have been in aviation both military and civil for nearly 30 years. In my opinion I would sugggest that if you want to be a pilot conentrate your efforts on that and fund your training by working in an avaition related discipline. Flight ops assistant for a GA operator would be an excellent start. Doing this would expose you to a host of ground ops disciplines that will stand you in good stead for your future career as a pilot while also providing the readies for the training. If you live nearer to a large airport then get a seasonal job in ramp or dispatch.

If you really want to go to university I would strongly recommend you aim to get yourself a good business degree. A lot of these aviation related degrees are pretty useless if I am to be frank; all the CEO's I've worked for have come from a variety of backgrounds, none of which are aviation specific but all are accountants. But remember, a tirtiary education is expensive so unless you can afford that and training to ATPL I suggest you have a long hard chat with your parents and also see what else falls out from this thread.

I wish you the best of luck in your ambitions and ignore these anal muppets.