PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia's a backwater in aviation>>
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2011, 18:18
oicur12.again

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
“Some overseas airlines operate in artificial tax free environments”

Artificial? In what way.

“where the normal business rules don't apply”

What exactly are “normal” business rules and do you think you will be able to change these?

“However capitulating to predatory overseas practices….”

As though you have a choice.

“….. or cheaper operating costs will be the ruin of Australia”

Yes, it will. And the ruin of most western countries. Take a look at Western Europe and the UK. The western world has lived on debt for decades but that is coming to a close.

“Standing by and watching even smaller nations buy their aviation industry at our expense with oil or other revenues is hardly a clever Government activity.”

Hang on there mate. Wasn’t it you that referred to a place “where the normal business rules don't apply”?

“If our Government believes that all services should go to the lowest cost global player, then we are doomed to share their lower condition and surrender all our local industry to offshore producers.”

Isn’t a free market wonderful? It giveth and it taketh.

“If Australia is to avoid becoming a quarry occupied by masses of unemployed citizens….”.

Do you mean like the US and UK are also becoming? France maybe. Italy. Ireland. Spain.

“….but I need to make sure I provide a roof over my families head and that bills get paid.”

There are 3 billion people in India, China and the Middle East that want the same thing, but they will do the job for a lot less than you.

“Australian aviation is pretty much unable to offer that in the longer term at the moment.”

Get a grip. ALL aviation jobs in Australia pay enough to achieve this outcome.