PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss on JFK runway
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2011, 09:27
Shore Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are a few things that would/will help in the incursion issue.

(1) I believe all transport aircraft should be equipped with a surface moving map display. Current FAA regulations only allow this on a Class III EFB, an expensive proposition. Approval for Class II units (much less expensive) was to have been accomplished on the FAA "Fast Track", but, to my knowledge, has not occurred.

Just amazing when you think about it....take delivery of a new transport aircraft and fly anywhere in the world with navigation accuracy measured in meters, autoland in virtual zero visibility, and then the guidance for surface movement is a piece of paper and a compass.

(2) When all aircraft are ADS-B equipped, a true cockpit based incursion warning solution will be available. RTCA currently has a committee researching and setting standards for this. The current system of warning to ATC, determining the threat, and contacting the aircraft involved is too time consuming.

(3) Electronic (CPDLC) transmission of taxi clearance to be displayed on moving surface map. "Follow the magenta line". This is also being tested.

I will end with a question...does anyone know if this ATC save was from an ASDE-X warning, or visual observation from the tower?