PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - parts for PA38
Thread: parts for PA38
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2011, 17:49
Dan the weegie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not understand anybody wanting to maintain a PA38 at any significant expense.

As an aircraft, it has nothing going for it.

Many instructors like it because it has a nasty stall characteristic and "teaches people to fly correctly". Somebody needs to remind me why (outside of aerobatics) we learn to fly?
It has plenty going for it, but I know better than to get in to an arguement about whether a Cessna is better or worse than a Piper, they're both good training planes because they are very tough and there is nothing that will match up in terms of toughness vs. cost. You spend £3k on a noseleg and the aircraft will give you till it's engine lifes, you could otherwise go out and spend 100k on a SportCruiser or an AT3 which might give you 2500 hours on a noseleg, but it remains to be seen . Which is why we're still flying PA38s and C152s.

It doesn't have nasty stall characteristics though, it has a gentle wing drop which if taught correctly means that people wont get nervous if they get a wing drop on another type. The thing about stalling is that you're supposed to teach the recovery and you're also supposed to teach people to be calm when they recover, a point that is often missed on every type of trainer, not just this one .