PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK PA-30 crash in France
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2011, 08:37
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Political correctness has no place in discussing accidents.

One can understand PC if coming from somebody who is regularly involved in meeting regulatory body representatives, and we all know they do read the pilot forums, and I know for a fact that for the most part they know exactly who is who on here.

Such representative work is necessary and is valuable to GA, somebody has to do it, and those that do it are invariably not paid for it. But I don't do anything like that; I am a lone operator with my own views which I stand by otherwise I would not write them. If somebody wants to wince (I had to look it up) they are welcome to it. This is one reason I don't get involved in any GA organisations.

I am perfectly happy flying in IMC, on my own, non-radio. The technology to avoid terrain has been around for quite a while, is dirt cheap, and if somebody chooses to not use it, it's their choice. I just feel sorry for the passengers (often children) who die, having trusted the pilot to do all the due diligence. It is a pretty common theme in fatal accidents; I always try to "take home" something from a mistake somebody else has made while wiping out most of his family, but in most cases it is hard to dig out something obviously worthwhile. Which is not to say I won't one day get killed flying, but the cause will probably be something different from the usual stuff.